Years 2/ Blwyddyn 2
Coronavirus Home Learning
Blwyddyn 2 - Year 2
Whilst school is closed, you can continue your learning by completing your home pack and/or by using the websites and activities below.
There are lots of useful websites that we use in school that can also be used at home to further learning! Below is a list of useful (tablet friendly) websites that have reading activities, spelling and punctuation games and plenty of grammar tasks.
- https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/subjects/zgkw2hv (Phonics games, stories and games for children to access)
- https://www.topmarks.co.uk/english-games/5-7-years/letters-and-sounds (A range of games children are familiar with, links to reading words and letter formation)
- https://www.ictgames.com/mobilePage/literacy.html (Games linked to learning sounds and reading words)
- https://pupil.gigletsedu.com/landing (Children are assigned a new book each week which they can read. They will also be given questions to answer. They will need their log in details on their home learning packs)
- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_qs3c0ehDvZkbiEbOj6Drg (Really helps them sound out their words and remember their sounds!)
https://home.oxfordowl.co.uk/# (This site is free at the moment for your child to read a range of books)
In class we are always using fun, interactive numeracy games to boost your child's learning. Below is a list of useful (tablet friendly) websites that have times table games, measure, shape, place value, addition, subtraction, multiplication and division games.
- https://www.topmarks.co.uk/Search.aspx?q=Year%201%20maths (Lots of games children often use in class including counting, number recognition, adding and taking away, measuring)
- https://www.ictgames.com/mobilePage/index.html (Games to support simple adding and taking away)
- https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/subjects/zjxhfg8 (A range of games to support counting, shapes, measuring and data collecting)
- https://www.activelearnprimary.co.uk/login?c=0 (Children are assigned a range of maths games, they are familiar with these games and will need their log ins from their home learning pack)
The school code for this login is - hrwk
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPlwvN0w4qFSP1FllALB92w (Children enjoy watching NumberBlocks in class, lots of episodes to help with counting, adding and taking away)
- https://www.youtube.com/results?sp=mAEB&search_query=joe+wicks+children%27s+workout (We LOVE completing the BodyCoach's workout's. Adults can join in too!)
https://www.artforkidshub.com/ (Video tutorials for drawing, painting and papercrafts)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/teach/supermovers/ks1-collection/zbr4scw (Lots of different videos to keep the children active as well as singing along to catchy, learning related songs!)
Visit these websites to help bring the outdoors indoors
Scouts- The Scouts have developed some inspired indoor activities to keep children learning new skills and having fun
Edinburgh Zoo Live Cams- Become an 'at home visitor to Edinburgh Zoo and check up on the penguins, pandas, koalas and tiger live enclosure cams www.edinburghzoo.org.uk/webcams
Chester Zoo Cam- Enjoy a virtual zoo day and take a tour around Chester Zoo every day at 10am. https://www.chesterzoo.org/
National Geographic Kids- Find amazing facts about animals, science, geography and history along with fun competitions and games www.natgeokids.com/uk
Young Persons Covid-19 survival pack
Keeping Active at home
If you would like to keep active at home but not sure how then here are some websites to help you!
PE with Joe- Joe Wicks 'The Body Coach' will be doing daily 30 minute live workouts for children at 9am Monday to Friday. You can watch it on his youtube page www.youtube.com/user/thebodycoach1
Cosmic Yoga- "Yoga, mindfulness and relaxation designed especially for children"
GoNoodle- Get moving- Youtube channel full of videos to get children moving; dancing, stretching, running, jumping and wiggling with GoNoodle
Croeso i tudalen blwyddyn dau!
Class Teacher – Mrs Herring-Jones
Classroom Assistant – Mrs Williams
Our topic this term is ‘Trains, Planes and Automobiles’
It is a very exciting time at Trowbridge Primary School
as we are developing the New Curriculum in Wales! This means children will have more say in what they want to learn, and their ideas will contribute to the work we do.
Year 2 have come up with some lovely ideas and they would like to learn about our local and other areas, healthy living, plants, how we travel and much much more!
Literacy, Language and Communication (including Welsh)
• We will be looking at different writing genres such as letters, reports, posters and stories.
• Welsh - using phrases in our talk and writing to communicate in Welsh.
Mathematics and Numeracy
We will be focusing on:
Estimation (We loved playing guessing games!)
• Measuring height, length, distance and weight
• Counting in 2s, 5s and 10s
• Solving addition and subtraction sums within 10 and 20
• 2D and 3D shapes including symmetry
• Estimation (We loved playing guessing games!)
• Measuring height, length, distance and weight
Humanities (History, Geography and R.E)
• Learning about our locality on a map
• Looking at different types of houses
• Comparing our locality with other countries
• Diwali and Christmas celebrations
Expressive Arts (Music, Art, DT and Creative Movement)
• We have loved our UPBEAT Samba sessions
• Making ways of travelling out of different materials
Looking at the work of the welsh artist, Rhiannon
Science and Technology (Science and ICT)
• Labelling part of a plant
• Collecting data
• Communicating through ICT
Health and Wellbeing (PE and PSHE)
• We will be practising our ball skills - throwing, catching, rolling, bouncing
• Discussing how we can be a good friend
• Discussing how we are all different
• How to live a healthy lifestyle
Your child will receive home reading books weekly which will need to be returned every Wednesday.
A variety of activities for your child to complete at home are on the back of the Newsletters..
Reading with your child at home is extremely important to their development, even 5 minutes a day can make a difference! Please can all books be returned to school on your child's selected day, they will then have a different book to read for the following week.
Year 2 will have P.E every Thursday. Please ensure your child has a kit in school with them (shorts/joggers and a t-shirt).