Years 1/ Blwyddyn 1
Coronavirus Home Learning
Blwyddyn 1 - Year 1
Whilst school is closed, your child can continue to learn by completing their home learning pack and/or by using the websites and activities below.
- https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/subjects/zgkw2hv (Phonics games, stories and games for children to access)
- https://www.topmarks.co.uk/english-games/5-7-years/letters-and-sounds (A range of games children are familiar with, links to reading words and letter formation)
- https://www.ictgames.com/mobilePage/literacy.html (Games linked to learning sounds and reading words)
- (Children are assigned a new book each week which they can read. They will need their log in details on their home learning packs)
- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_qs3c0ehDvZkbiEbOj6Drg (Children love watching AlphaBlocks in our class as a treat, it really helps them sound out their words and remember their sounds!)
https://home.oxfordowl.co.uk/# (This site is free at the moment for your child to read a range of books)
- https://www.topmarks.co.uk/Search.aspx?q=Year%201%20maths (Lots of games children often use in class including counting, number recognition, adding and taking away, measuring. We especially love 'Hit the Button!')
- https://www.ictgames.com/mobilePage/index.html (Games to support simple adding and taking away)
- https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/subjects/zjxhfg8 (A range of games to support counting, shapes, measuring and data collecting)
- https://www.activelearnprimary.co.uk/login?c=0 (Children are assigned a range of maths games, they are familiar with these games and will need their log ins from their home learning pack)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPlwvN0w4qFSP1FllALB92w (Children enjoy watching NumberBlocks in class, lots of episodes to help with counting, adding and taking away)
Our new topic for the Summer term is 'All our yesterdays!'
This topic will be all about history and how things have changed over time.
To start our topic have a look at these videos:
Once you have watched these videos, you can:
- Make a list of things that have changed over time
- Talk to your parents/grandparents about what school was like when they were younger. Has it changed?
I am looking forward to hearing all about what you have found out!
- https://www.youtube.com/results?sp=mAEB&search_query=joe+wicks+children%27s+workout (We LOVE completing the BodyCoach's workout's. Adults can join in too!)
https://www.artforkidshub.com/ (Video tutorials for drawing, painting and papercrafts)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/teach/supermovers/ks1-collection/zbr4scw (Lots of different videos to keep the children active as well as singing along to catchy, learning related songs!)
- Scouts- The Scouts have developed some inspired indoor activities to keep children learning new skills and having fun
- Edinburgh Zoo Live Cams- Become an 'at home visitor to Edinburgh Zoo and check up on the penguins, pandas, koalas and tiger live enclosure cams www.edinburghzoo.org.uk/webcams
- Chester Zoo Cam- Enjoy a virtual zoo day and take a tour around Chester Zoo every day at 10am. https://www.chesterzoo.org/
- National Geographic Kids- Find amazing facts about animals, science, geography and history along with fun competitions and games www.natgeokids.com/uk
- Folly Farm Webcams - Use this website to watch the animals live at Folly Farm! https://www.folly-farm.co.uk/webcams/
Covid-19 Survival Pack
Croeso i Blwyddyn 1!
Your teachers are: Miss Hardwick, Miss Gaudion and Miss Armstrong (PPA)
Our topic this Spring term is 'Planes, Trains and Automobiles'
It is a very exciting time at Trowbridge Primary School as we are developing the New Curriculum in Wales! This means children will have more say in what they want to learn, and their ideas will contribute to the work we do.
These are some of the ideas the children have come up with:
|'What were planes like in the olden days?'||'How do astronauts walk on the moon?'|
|'I would like to make a rocket'||'Can we walk to Spain?'|
|'How do boats float and sink?'||'Who made the first plane?'|
|'How fast can cars, planes and buses go?'||'Can we fix a car like a mechanic?'|
Literacy, Language and Communication (including Welsh)
• We will be looking at different writing genres such as letters, reviews, postcards and recipes.
• Welsh - using simple phrases in our talk and writing to communicate in Welsh.
We especially loved writing our recipe for pancakes and then making them, they were delicious!
Mathematics and Numeracy
This term in mathematics and numeracy we will be focussing on:
• Counting in 2s, 5s and 10s
• Solving addition and subtraction sums within 10, 20 and 100
• Using money to pay for items
• Doubling and Halving
•Telling the time
• Position and direction
Humanities (History, Geography and R.E)
• Learning about how planes were made
• Looking at different types of cars/trains/planes
• Compass points - looking on the map to see what is North, South, East and West of Trowbridge
• Looking at the Easter story
Expressive Arts (Music, Art, DT and Creative Movement)
• We are currently learning how to play the recorder with UPBEAT
• Researching and creating DaDa Art
• Observational drawings
Science and Technology (Science and ICT)
• Looking at fair and unfair tests
• What is gravity?
• Forces - making balloon rockets
• Floating and sinking - which materials float/sink?
• Problem solving by realising what works and what does not work when experimenting
• Communicating through ICT
• Understanding how we stay safe online
Health and Wellbeing (PE and PSHE)
• We have been practising our ball skills - throwing, catching, rolling, bouncing
• Following the Body Coach's workouts and understanding how we can keep fit and healthy
• Discussing how we can be a good friend
• Discussing how we are all different
• How to live a healthy lifestyle
Your child will receive spellings weekly which we will then practice in class on a Friday.
A variety of activities for your child to complete at home were on the back of the Spring Newsletter. Please ask for another copy if you have misplaced it. Your child will receive extra Dojo points for completing it!
Reading with your child at home is extremely important to their development, even 5 minutes a day can make a difference! Please return your child's school reading book once they have read it a few times, we will then change it for a different book.
Year 1 will have P.E every Monday. Please ensure your child has a kit in school with them (shorts/joggers and a t-shirt).